Saturday, April 17, 2010

Working on your scooter. . .

Pretty much every scooter on the planet, no matter the brand, needs a valve adjustment near the 1000 mile mark. I've done this several times on my scooters and my husbands. It's a simple procedure even if it sounds difficult. The tools are few and the first time you do this, you do it slowly and take notes and pictures if it will help you in the future.


So, I won't go over the procedure here, but I will give you a link to a great site that has step by step as well as pictures! You can't go wrong following this way. Here it is: http://scooterdoc.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=engine&action=display&thread=140

I did the valve adjustment on my husband's scooter and it ran well for a few days. It wasn't the adjustment that was bed, we found out that we also have a bad coil. The coil is the wiring that goes from the spark plug to a small cylinder that tells the spark plug when to spark. When/if that goes bad, the scooter will 'miss'. You can hear and feel the miss as if the plug isn't firing when it's supposed to. The new coil should come in the mail today. I'll get a picture of it and post in the next episode. I have the scooter all ready for the coil install; no body panels and old coil out. I'll put the body panels back on after the test drive.

I'm hoping to go to the local Vespa dealer and test ride one of the Vespa 300s. That should be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment